Friday, September 27, 2013

Eddie's Sweet Shop, The Authentic Forest Hills Ice Cream Parlor


Forest Hills is my favorite neighborhood in Queens. Everything seems much more "normal" and laid back there. You can feel the sense of tight community there. I just love it! Well, much to my delight, I just learned that in Forest Hills, there is this one authentic ice cream parlor that opened in 1909 and still preserve its old-time feel. It is called Eddie's Sweet Shop. 

Not only that their ice cream and whipped creams are handmade (like what old people used to make), the ambiance of the store is also very old fashioned. Once you enter, you will be greeted with mosaic tile floor and wooden swivel tools. You will feel like you are being transported back to the 1920s.

As for the ice cream, they are most famous for its banana splits ice cream with enormous amount of whipped cream put on top. I went there few days ago and ordered the Banana Royal Sundae. I picked 3 ice cream flavors; vanilla, butter pecan and mint chip. Let me tell you, the sundae was so good! The ice cream was very creamy and not overly sweet!! Love it love it love. If only their place was not so far from my place. 


But they also have other menus like sundae, floats, egg cream, milk shakes. This place is also great if you want to have "make your own sundae party". The package start at $300. Isn't it fun to have your birthday celebrated with many scoops of ice crea, hot fudge and chocolate sauce? Yumm!

Eddie's Sweet Shop
105-29 Metropolitan Avenue, Forest Hills, NY, 11375 (map)
718-520-8514

2 comments: